With our change of ircd to the all new ircd-seven, we are trialling a new method of allowing users to connect to the network via Tor. This method brings a number of changes:
- The only Tor hidden service is: the new p4fsi4ockecnea7l.onion.
- You will need to have a registered and verified NickServ account to connect using Tor. Beyond this, no further steps are necessary.
- You will need to use a SASL mechanism to identify to the server.
We have collected together scripts for irssi and mirc, while Conspire supports SASL natively. Scripts may be available for other clients in addition.
Download and install this script (cap_sasl.pl) and, after loading it, configure it using
/sasl set <network> <username> <password> <mechanism>
Supported mechanisms are PLAIN and DH-BLOWFISH.
Instructions (adapted from that forum):
- Place SASL.dll and sasl.mrc into your $mircdir.
- Load sasl.mrc into your remotes.
- Press F2 and configure the network, before connecting as usual.
If you have any problems, either pop into #freenode from a non-torified connection or drop an email to support AT freenode.net.
This method of connecting to freenode using Tor supersedes all previous methods, including Tor-GPG. We hope that this method of connecting via Tor will help to make it somewhat more accessible to you!